Hair restoration is a multidimensional specialty requiring knowledge of several medical disciplines, including genetics, endocrinology, dermatology, and surgery. ISHRS has defined the core competencies required for a doctor to practice hair restoration and we have based the program on the same principles.
A hair restoration training program aims to provide the student with the skills necessary to perform all the following tasks:
- Counsel and advise patients on the risks and benefits of hair restoration surgery. Address the patient's specific general medical and psychological condition, including consideration of the patient's age, sex, physical examination, and family history of hair loss.
- Identify, advise, and manage patients whose hair loss is not androgenetic in aetiology.
- Design integrated medical and surgical treatment plans, including hairlines and crowns, for patients between the ages of 16 and 65 who have Norwood-Hamilton patterns II through VII and Ludwig patterns I, II, and III.
- Set up a hair transplant operating room that will provide a safe environment for patients and staff, including, but not limited to, sterile techniques, proper management of bio hazardous materials, and ergonometrically sound work stations.
- Harvest hair bearing donor scalp using techniques that minimize follicular damage and maximize donor scar cosmesis.
- Prepare follicular unit grafts from donor tissue with minimal follicle transection. Demonstrate techniques to maximize graft survival between preparation and implantation.
- Prepare appropriate sized recipient sites for hair grafts with proper attention to exit angle, hair direction, depth of incision, and spacing, so as to attain a natural appearance and optimize hair growth.
- Place follicular unit grafts into appropriately sized recipient sites with minimal physiologic and physical follicular trauma.
- Calculate and administer an appropriate dose of medication for sedation and local anaesthesia for hair replacement surgery, including the use of tumescent solution and high dose epinephrine solution.
- Recognize and demonstrate appropriate modifications to transplant design and treatment plan for patients who have had prior scalp surgery and identify the appropriate time to integrate scalp extension or expansion into a patient's treatment plan.
- Demonstrate the proper use of basic life support equipment, including automatic external defibrillators and adjunctive equipment to airway management.
- Manage complications of hair restoration surgery, including syncope, postoperative infections, haemorrhage and hematomas, postoperative pain syndromes, wide donor scars, and suboptimal results.
As a wide variety of physician specialties train in hair restorations, adjustments in the program may need to done depending upon the requirements.
There are one day course and two day course.
One day hair restoration surgery course:
Timing 9 am to 5 pm
- Hair biology from a surgical perspective
- Understanding pattern hair loss
- Non Patterned hair loss
- Examination, assessment and investigations in pattern hair loss
- Planning & Counselling for the treatment
- Medical Management of MPHL
- Medical Management of FPHL
- Non FDA approved medical treatments
- Hair Additions
- Planning the hair transplant
- Anesthesia in Hair Transplantation
- Follicular Unit Transplantation with strip method all steps with video presentation
- Follicular Unit extraction
- Body Hair Transplant
- Managing complications
- Handling emergencies
- All hands on (on wet and dry models)
- Basic surgical skills hands on training (which includes gloving, gowning, antisepsis, various knots, incisions and suturing techniques
- Understanding magnifying aids (Loupes, magnifyiers, streoscopic microscopes and video microscopes
- Strip harvest, FUE (motorized and manual), closure, slivering, graft cutting and implantation on wetand dry models.
- Live patient case study discussion whenever possible./li>
- The charges are Rs 15,000 per candidate and include registration fees, refreshments and working lunch.
Two day hair restoration surgery course:
- The two day program includes all of the above plus one day of live surgery observation.
- The charges for the same would be Rs 25,000 per candidate.
Only observation of hair transplant surgery:
- If candidates wish to visit our centre for observation only, the charges would be Rs 12,000 per candidate per day.
- The candidate has to make his or her own arrangements for stay if from out of Mumbai. We could provide a list of hotels close by if needed.
- If the delegates wish to purchase instruments then these will be sold separately with prior intimation.
Teaching Courses at Hairrevive
- Various courses are offered at Hairrevive for doctors interested in hair sciences and the art of hair transplantation. The courses are structured to address doctors from varied specialities and training and each of these courses have different objectives and eligibility criteria.
The courses offered are:
- Basic Trichology Course
- Basic Trichosurgery Course
- Advanced Trichosurgery Course.